Thursday 6 December 2012

Losing Friends

*Content note: ableist language*

I don't go out much and I don't have many friends. I've never been particularly gregarious due to various mental health issues, but lately it's become even worse; I find I'm shedding connections with people at an alarming rate, even people I've known for years, and the weird thing about it is that I don't care. I unfriended someone on Facebook this morning, someone I've known for 12 years, and I have no sad feelings about it at all. I'd been considering it for a while anyway because he's a Nice Guy but I stayed friends with him out of habit, I think. The final straw came this morning though when he used the phrase "window licking, crayon eating, helmet wearing fucktard". Call me oversensitive, but I don't see how those insults are any different to calling someone a "stupid retard", and someone who thinks that these are acceptable things to say is not someone I want to be friends with.

My views and opinions and changed so much over the last couple of years, but my friends have stayed the same. I don't fit properly with a lot of them anymore, and it's starting to feel uncomfortable. I know it's possible that they'll change, but I'm not hopeful because most of the stuff that I'm talking about is so socially acceptable that you're seen as weird and 'too politically correct' if you complain. I guess I'll have to make new friends, because I just don't have the energy to fight a losing battle to stay friends with people who I don't particularly like anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment